Tired of buying expensive and unhealthy fruits & vegetable at the grocery store? Don’t panic; you can grow them at home. Wondering, how? Well, then we must say in many ways. Let’s not makes you more confused. We’ll discuss them below.
However, you can grow fresh vegetables and fruits in different ways, for example;
- In your Apartment,
- In the Backyard,
- Or else, in Greenhouse.
There no such happiness to make the meal with food; which is grown with your own hands. Apart from getting chemical free food, you can also save a tonne of cash, and it is fun too. A passionate gardener loves to see their planted food from seed to harvest.
Moreover, it feels great to walk to the garden for a snack or dinner ingredients. True. So, you’re dreaming of starting a garden in your little corner of the world. Fair Enough! Here, we are coming in with a guideline for you about growing food at home.
Let’s move on and know about the ways that we’ve mentioned above.
Grow in an apartment – The First Way
When it is winter time, and you need fresh food; then you may consider planting foods in your apartment. Also, the same applies to those, who live in a small flat or a condo or studio.
A small space can be enlarged for greater harvest, with a little creativity. Being a novice gardener, you may consider a few things and follow these tricks to get the best result.
- You may use small and medium-sized pot for plant foods.
- Start your journey with veggies like peas, kale, and zucchini. The reason is that these veggies are easy-to-grow and newbies get a little boost-up.
- Fill the pot with veggies which are expensive in the store, like cauliflower.
- At the late fall, plant few varieties like pumpkin and squash. Make sure to keep enough space for them to grow.
- You may also fill the pots with spinach, arugula, radicchio, lettuce, and may more for daily salad.
- Use your balcony for food like tomatoes, chard, and strawberries. In such a case, you can use a container.
- The crucial thing that you need to grow food at the apartment is the good-quality soil.
We have mentioned a few tricks about growing food at the apartment; you’ll find many other ways available on the internet. Furthermore, if you are lucky enough to have a garden with enough space, then you must go for it.
Use the backyard – The Second Way
Planting fruits and vegetable in the garden is the best option to have well-grown food. As the seeds get enough space to grow. Moreover, gardening is an excellent step toward an independent lifestyle. Summer is the best time to plant the seed in your backyard.
Well, when you are planning to start gardening for the first time, then so many challenges may come. So, better be prepared from the beginning. Consider a few things like, is your space is small? Do you have enough time? Is the climate dry? And so on. Also, there is more to follow, for example;
- Build A Solid Base:The fruits and vegetable need nutrient to grow well, and it comes from the good-quality soil. To make your land efficient, you may need good quality fertilizer. Although commercial fertilizer is available in the market, we would prefer to use homemade compost.
- How to Plant:Well, there are no specific rules for planting. You may plant in the ground or the large container.
- What to Plant:The decision entirely depends on you. Still, being a newbie, you may start with tomato. However, tomato is everyone’s favorite and also a must-have ingredient in every recipe. Even, you can think about planting Zucchini.
- Growing Fruits:Fruits can increases the beauty of the garden, provides shade, and you will get to see adorable birds. So, don’t keep your option limited to seasonal fruits. The best part about fruits tree is that they require low maintenance.
- Pest Control:It is one of the crucial parts when you start a garden. Make sure to have better pest control to save your plants.
Use a Greenhouse – The Final Way
In case you don’t have enough space in your small apartment, and you are not lucky enough to own a large backyard. Don’t worry, because there’s plenty of great mini greenhouses available in the market. You can consider them for planting food in the limited area.
Wherever you plant, you must have to take care of seeds, protect them from pest, and remove weeds regularly. Apart from the above tips, there is plenty of approaches you can attempt to grow.
So, don’t stop here! Keep discovering and enjoy fresh food!