A generator is an electrical machine that supplies current at times of emergency and also when there is a power interruption from the primary source. These are devices that convert mechanical energy into electric current and used to distribute power throughout different industrial, domestic and commercial sectors.
Explore the different Types of Generators
If you are planning to purchase a generator for personal or professional use, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind. There is a myriad of choices when it comes to generators. Hence, finding the most suitable one among the wide array of varieties can be a mammoth task. Before buying one, you should know the various types available in the market. Generators are mainly categorized into two, portable and standby.
Identify the one that suits your Application
The Portable and Standby generators are also differentiated by the variety of fuel used in these devices. Diesel, petrol, kerosene, and gas are the four different fuels that can be used. As you can understand by its name, portable generators are mini-devices that are transportable and ideal for homes and small shops. They can supply power between 4000-9000 watts. These can be used while camping and any outdoor trips.
On the contrary, standby generators are installed to supply a considerable amount of electricity. They can supply power up to 15000 watts. They are efficient enough to work even in harsh climatic conditions. The fuel used in such devices has to be petrol, CNG/LPG or diesel. When choosing a generator, you also need to consider its size. The size of the generator will depend on the place that you are going to install it.
Specifications to take into account
Apart from focusing on the models, sizes, and designs, you also need to consider some vital features in your diesel generator:
- One of the significant specifications that you will want in your device is, it should deliver a high range of current. Before opting for a particular machine, you should be aware of your home or office requirements. In most cases, selecting a device that delivers 2.5 kVA to 2000 kVA will be an ideal choice.
- Before selecting a generator, you should know about the phase that will be suitable for your appliances. Diesel generators are designed in two phases which are single and three-phase connections.
- Fuel consumption is another important criterion that you need to keep in mind when buying a diesel generator.
Importance of a Power Backup
With the advancements in the technological era, the use of electrical appliances has increased drastically. People, nowadays, tend to install a wide variety of electrical appliances in their homes as well as workplaces. There is no doubt that electrical appliances have made life a lot easier than it was ever before. Most of us are so dependent on electrical gadgets, that we feel helpless when there is a power cut from the main source. In such a situation, the need for a generator increases. When buying a generator, you must ensure that it caters to your expectations and needs. The electrical device that you buy should also meet your budget because it is one such factor that can influence your decision.
Advantage of investing in Diesel generators
When looking for a generator, check the one that is economical and useful. A diesel generator is equipped with a diesel engine that generates an electric current and distributes it to different devices. Generators like this can be ultimately useful at times of power cut and also in places where no power grid connection is available. There are plenty of advantages of using a diesel generator, irrespective of the sector in which you are using it.
- One of the prime reasons why diesel generators are preferred is due to its efficiency. Generators that use diesel as its functioning fuel can supply current for long hours without any interruption. They are highly efficient and offer great performance at times of need. Opting for a diesel generator will ensure the consistent and continuous running of machines at workplaces.
- On the other hand, diesel generators require low maintenance when compared to gasoline, petrol or CNG generators. This variety is also durable which means they have a higher life cycle than the others.
- Diesel generators can be installed in different industries that include- hospitals, offices, construction sites, factories, and events. This means they are suitable for all kinds of workplace and can offer the expected amount of current at times of load shedding.
With a lot of power issues cropping up these days, it is always better to have a power back-up to enjoy uninterrupted power supply and diesel generators are an ideal choice!